This website pertains to the genealogy research of my 5th great-grandparents:
- Ernest Mann born Ernst Christian Menge about 1732 in Germany, probably in the village of Soedel (Södel) in the German state of Hesse, emigrated to Philadelphia with his brothers in 1754, married first Catharina Klockner, and then Maria Magdalena Sommer, settled in Oxford, Sussex, New Jersey where he died in 1813
- Maria Magdalena Sommer, born about 1749 in Freistett, Baden, Germany, daughter of Georg Sommer (aka George Summers) and Anna Barbara Rub, emigrated to Philadelphia in 1752, married to Ernst Menge in 1766, children include Salome "Sarah" (Oliver), Ernest Mann (m. Catharina Cruts), Mary "Jane" (Kitchen), John (m. Agnes Unk.), Anna (Picker), Peter (m. Mary Hummer), and David (m. Sarah Allison).
I am related to the line of Ernest Mann and Catharina Cruts who migrated to Oakland and Macomb counties in Michigan in the 1830s. There were, however, several other Mann and Sommer relations who made the trek to Michigan! I am happy to correspond with anybody who might be connected with these family lines!
My Research Goals for 2015
- Further establish (or not) that John Mann, son of Ernst Menge and Maria Magdalena Summers, lived for awhile in Luzerne county, PA, but then later joined the migration of Mann and Sommer families who went to Michigan (Oakland and Macomb counties). He had other Mann descendants who also lived in Michigan.
- Further establish (or not) Judge Jacob Sommer of Byberry/Moreland, PA was the son of John Sommer who was the brother of Georg Sommer, both from Freistett.
- Further establish (or not) whether any of the Sommer's in Michigan, specifically Jacob Sommer 2d, have connections back to the Sommer's who stayed in PHL.